Firefighters battle overnight house fire
Merrill firefighters battled a blaze in a vacant house at W5408 ROW Rd. overnight Wednesday.
At 1:07 a.m., Lincoln County Dispatch Center dispatched the Merrill Fire Department for a report of a structure fire. The 911 caller reported that flames and smoke were visible from the exterior of the building. The caller also reported there was no one inside the residence.
The initial response from Merrill Fire included Engine 2, Tender 5, Engine 1 and Medic 1. Command requested a call back of off duty Merrill Firefighters and Mutual Aid in the form of a Tender from Corning F.D. Tomahawk EMS was requested to standby at Irma for ambulance service. A Pine River FD Engine was requested to the Merrill Fire Station for a change of quarters stand-by assignment.
A Lincoln County Sheriff’s deputy, the first to arrive on scene, reported flames showing on the first and second floor in the rear of the structure. He also reported there were no residents in the house. While enroute, Incident Command reported to incoming fire companies a glow of fire in the night sky in the vicinity of the reported structure fire.
Upon arrival, Incident Command was established by Engine 2 which reported heavy smoke and fire showing from the rear and east side of a two story single family residence. Command deployed two firefighting crews with hand lines to the fire. The initial fire attack was in a defensive mode of operations, fighting the fire from the exterior of the structure and protecting the exposures. The water supply was established by a use of a Rural Shuttle Operation with the Corning FD and Merrill FD Tenders. Once the initial fire was knocked down, the crews completed overhaul operations and spot fire extinguishment.
Interviews were conducted with homeowner and he stated that the house was under renovation but no work was completed on the house within the last week. The house was unoccupied and it is unknown if the smoke detectors operated.
One Firefighter received minor non-life threatening injury; he was treated and released from Ministry Good Samaritan Health Center. The homeowners contacted their insurance agent and fire will be under further investigation.