Dedication planned for WWI plaque
Since its dedication in 1923, the Cenotaph Memorial has graced Merrill’s West Side. The word “Cenotaph” means “empty tomb” or a monument erected in honor of a person or group of people whose remains are elsewhere. For over 90 years Lincoln County’s Cenotaph Park was only an empty monument.
This Memorial Day the shrine will be enhanced with a 7′ high, 400-pound bronze plaque that prominently lists the names of our 49 Lincoln County Veterans who died in World War One. Many of these young men were interred in European battlefields. This marker will ensure they will be immortalized at home as well. The project will become a reality largely due to the efforts of Veterans of Foreign Wars MAR-LIN Post 10203 & Fillmore Metal Crafters. If all goes as planned, the public is invited to attend a Dedication Ceremony from 4- 5 p.m. this Memorial Day.
The names of the following 49 Local Veterans will be permanently inscribed on the memorial: Albert Achterburg, Louis Albrecht, George Baldwin, Adolph Bauman, Leon Bennett, Merrill Bennett, William Berndsen, Henry Bronsted, Fred Burkland, Edward Burns, Arnold Donner, Frank Gerholtz, Emil Goetsh, Raymond Gould, George Hintze, Leo Hintze, George Hitzke, Louis Jorgensen, Charles Keil, Henry Kirby, Emil Kleinschmidt, Albert Kneiss, Edwin Krueger, Arthur Lagerbloom, Max Laurenz, Wilfred Lehman, Frank Liberty, Erwin Manecke, Edward Marks, Fred Martinson, Edward Neinow, Frebert Pahls, Paul Pophal, Guy Rice, William Robarge, William Saeger, William Schaefer, Peter Schmitt, Lee Stange, Henery Swanson, Vernon Switzer, Archie Tool, Gordon Tozer, Edward Trimberger, Otto Wieland, Edward Woellner, Hiram Woodruff, William Wurl & Ed York.
Funds are still needed to complete the project on time. Please send donations to: VFW POST 10203, 14641 Cty Hwy F, Hamburg, WI 54411, Memo: Cenotaph Fund.