Zone 2 closed
The Wis. DNR has closed Wolf Harvest Zone 2 to hunting and trapping of gray wolves effective 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 23. Zone 2 includes the northwest corner of Wis. but includes the Newwood recreation area.
Wolf Harvest Zone 2 is the first zone to be closed this season. All other zones are open in the hunt that started last Tuesday. The wolf harvest quota for Zone 2 was set at 28 wolves as compared to 19 from last year, despite the increase in overall harvest quota from 116 to 251.
“The pace of this year’s wolf harvest is higher than the beginning of last season,” said Kurt Thiede, DNR Land Division administrator. “Given that this is only our second year of wolf hunting and trapping in the state, it is difficult to say whether this year is an anomaly or whether this could become the norm moving forward.”
The total harvest as of Tuesday afternoon was 97, with 38-of-76 harvested in Zone 1 (upper NW) leading the way. For more information, visit dnr.wi.gov and search keyword “wolf.”
- Frigid weather affects gun deer hunt harvest
- Road to D1 scholarship a long haul for Matt Purmal
- Schmidt to bowl at USA games
- Red Robins bombard Bluejays with red-hot shooting
- Merrill girls present poised, polished debut in Medford
- Merrill hockey opens with convincing win over Hatchets
- Bluejay boys open season with 57-48 home win
- Two for the price of one: Merrill girls basketball signings
- Register your deer
- The hunt, according to the DNR