Hatchet swimmers off to a great start
The THS swimmers jumped competitively into the pool for the first time this season last Tuesday and ranked second in the six-team Colby Invite. Their hosts topped them 301.5-247.5, but the Hatchets scored more than the other four teams combined.
“We had great swims, and numerous PR’s,” THS coach Theresa L’Esperance said.
Freshman Lauren Hilt won the backstroke and freestyle, tied for 1st in the butterfly and placed 2nd in the IM. But the highlight of the meet for Tomahawk came when she chopped more than a second off Morgan Weber’s THS 50 freestyle record, swimming a :24.75.
Weber place 1st in the sophomore class in the 50 Free, 2nd in the back, 2nd in the brea, 3rd in the fly and 2nd in the IM. Karli Cecil finished 4th overall in the butterfly and 2nd for her sophomore class. She also finished 3rd in the IM, 5th in the brea. Baylee Dallman ranked 4th place in the free, 4th place in the IM, and 4th place in the back.
Katherine Russell had a 2nd in the fly and back, and a 3rd in the IM and a 6th in the breaststroke. Michaela Galganski finished 2nd in the brea and free, and 5th in the IM and butterfly. Jackie Elliott had a 6th-place finish in the freestyle and back. Senior Jamie Sterr placed 6th in the free, back and 5th in the breaststroke. Senior Sami Kleich was 5th in the back and IM and 6th place in the fly and breast.
Team scores: Ladysmith 301.5, THS 247.5, Clintonville 169.5, Colby/Abby 24, Rhinelander 17.5, Wittenberg 15.
- Frigid weather affects gun deer hunt harvest
- Road to D1 scholarship a long haul for Matt Purmal
- Schmidt to bowl at USA games
- Red Robins bombard Bluejays with red-hot shooting
- Merrill girls present poised, polished debut in Medford
- Merrill hockey opens with convincing win over Hatchets
- Bluejay boys open season with 57-48 home win
- Two for the price of one: Merrill girls basketball signings
- Register your deer
- The hunt, according to the DNR