Post 46 gets a pair of road wins
Merrill American Legion Post 46 took two road games, dropping Medford 3-0 in a nail biter Monday night at Medford and Antigo 12-11 on Thursday.
At Medford, the Post 46 squad had to battle against the hosts, notching two runs in the sixth and the last in a classic pitching duel. Alex Klug tagged an RBI single in the sixth that tallied the eventual game winner.
Brian Stockowitz went the distance, giving up five hits and walking two.
“Both pitchers threw well, we just played better defense than they did,” said Post 46 coach Jon Annis. “We played really well on defense that night.”
Annis said that with the game being so close through five, pulling out the win in the final two innings was a big shot in the arm for the team.
“We gained a lot of confidence, learning that we can play solid defense, get strikes and good things can happen,” Annis said.
At Antigo, Merrill was sitting on a comfortable lead through five when the hosts put together two solid final innings to make a run at Post 46.
“We hit the ball well, and we played well through the fifth,” Annis said. “They got a few hits, took advantage of a few errors and turned it into a ball game.”
Alex Cordova pitched into the sixth inning before being pulled in favor of Ty Grunenwald, who shut the door in the seventh.
Annis said that the wet weather of late hasn’t impacted the Legion schedule much.
“We had two non-league games rained out. I don’t know what the plan is on making them up yet,” Annis said.
The pair of wins brought the Post 46 record to 5-2 on the year.
- Frigid weather affects gun deer hunt harvest
- Road to D1 scholarship a long haul for Matt Purmal
- Schmidt to bowl at USA games
- Red Robins bombard Bluejays with red-hot shooting
- Merrill girls present poised, polished debut in Medford
- Merrill hockey opens with convincing win over Hatchets
- Bluejay boys open season with 57-48 home win
- Two for the price of one: Merrill girls basketball signings
- Register your deer
- The hunt, according to the DNR