Rep. Tiffany calls for implementation of Kroll Report
The unofficial harvest numbers are trickling in from the gun deer hunt and they point to a successful season. Across Wisconsin, there was a 7.7 % increase from last year’s tally as well as a 2% increase in hunting licenses purchased. However, Rep. Tom Tiffany (R-Hazelhurst) expressed disappointment that many deer management units in northern Wisconsin once again saw poor harvest numbers.
“It is encouraging to see the preliminary statewide numbers,” noted Tiffany. “However, we continue to see low harvest totals in many Northwoods units. Responsible hunters continue to express great concern with the number of antlerless tags that are being issued. Many bars and restaurants have felt the loss of business because of disillusioned hunters who are no longer coming to the Northwoods as a result of a lack of deer.”
Rep. Tiffany called on DNR leadership to implement the Kroll Report, which specifically details gaining more participation from sportsmen, proper predator management, and changes in forest management.
“I applaud the DNR for implementing our first wolf season as passed by the legislature,” said Tiffany. “The DNR should continue those efforts and immediately begin the process of implementing the Kroll Report in order to reverse the trend of low deer numbers in many northern units.”
- Stretch of County Rd. C under reconstruction
- Two Merrill women sentenced for heroin distribution
- Council holds off on room tax increase
- Importance of High Speed Internet in Business & Community Development
- New temporary location for Lincoln-Langlade USDA Service Center
- Information sought on wanted Gleason man
- Man arrested with loaded gun in vehicle
- Bridge inspections scheduled in Lincoln County
- Wanted person arrested
- US 51 resurfacing project in Lincoln County begins this week