Open house to recognize MHS mural artists
For the ninth consecutive summer, selected art students have shared their artistic abilities with the school and community by painting murals for the walls of Merrill High School. Through the Honors Art Workshop, twelve students have completed paintings which will adorn the walls of the school.
A goal of the Merrill High School Art Department is to create a gallery-like environment and to familiarize the entire student body, as well as the community, with well known artists and their paintings. A total of 92 paintings now decorate the walls of the first and second floors of the building. Not only do these murals introduce the student body to art history, they also create a visually stimulating atmosphere.
The selection process for the Honors Art Mural Painting workshop is a prestigious one. Students are selected by their art teachers to participate in the workshop by demonstrating outstanding artistic talent and commitment over the previous school year. Students are required to complete of year of intense study of drawing and painting and show an excellent work either along with evidence of being able to commit to this huge endeavor.
This year’s mural artists were Jennifer Anderson, Erin Boquist, Alix DeBroux, Annie DeBroux, Elena Janowiak, Madeline Klippel, Sarah Lentz, Robin Opsahl, Melissa Pierson, Steven Roets, Megan Smith and Katya Wunsch.
A ninth annual open house and reception honoring the eleven student mural artists will be held February 9, 2013, from 1-4 p.m. at the high school. Along with the Open House, an annual art alumni show is planned.
Funding for the murals was provided by sponsorship from area businesses and individuals.
- MHS Senior Awards Night May 29
- Meineke to host car show, Boy Scout fund raiser
- Night of Music & Sounds raises funds for scholarship
- Carl and Jane Bierman honored by Merrill Historical Society
- Women Connecting to meet
- Christ United Methodist Church to host Fish Boil for Missions
- Help create a healthier Lincoln County
- Merrill Walks offer glimpse of West Side history
- Bridges Virtual Academy students on team advancing to Destination Imagination’s Global Finals
- Merrill to host two Memorial Day ceremonies