Merrill firefighters quickly snuff out garage fire
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:44 AM
The Merrill Fire Department was notified by the Lincoln County 911 dispatch center, just after 6:30 p.m. Monday for a report of a garage on fire at N2563 Short Rd. in the Town of Merrill. Incident Command along with Merrill Fire personnel responded to the scene initially with Engine 2, Medic 1 and Tender 5.
Upon arrival Merrill’s Incident Commander called for an aggressive interior attack of the fire as conditions warranted due to limited smoke and fire showing from the structure. Fire personnel quickly advanced a 1 3/4” inch hose line to the origin of the fire, which was located at the southeast corner of the structure near a wood burning stove. The attack crew quickly found the fire and extinguished it with water and foam. Overhaul of the garage started immediately as smoldering items were removed through an overhead door. Ventilation was performed throughout the structure utilizing a positive pressure fan to rid the structure of smoke.
Initial information upon arrival of fire personnel was that no individuals were in the garage; however contents included some antique automobiles and numerous tools and snow removal equipment. Firefighters quickly deployed salvage tarps over the vehicles to prevent further damage and continued overhaul looking for hotspots and extinguishing them. Merrill fire units were on scene for about two hours and were assisted by the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department. The cause is believed to be the radiant heat from the wood burner and chimney, but is not suspicious. Some smoke and water damage was reported to the automobiles and the structure as well, but damage was limited to both the structure and the contents. No injuries were reported.