Man electrocuted, may face charges
Monday, June 23, 2014 8:09 AM
A 30-year-old Rhinelander man remains at the burn unit at UW Madison Hospital after an incident on Thursday afternoon in the Town of Schley.
Just after 2 p.m., the Town of Russell Fire Department was sent to State Rd. 17 near Lecks Lane, after motorists reported that a tree had become entangled in electrical wires and started on fire. When Russell Firefighters arrived on the scene they found the 30-year-old male who appeared to be seriously injured standing near the pole.
A deputy arrived and requested an ambulance that transported the man to Aspirus Wausau Hospital. From there the man was transferred by helicopter to UW Madison.
According to the report, the deputy who investigated the incident suspects the man stopped to check on the burning tree and was electrocuted by a downed wire. A deputy also found open containers of alcohol in the man’s vehicle and he showed signs of impairment. Pending the results of a blood test the man may face a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated second offense.
He remains in serious but stable condition at UW Madison Hospital.