On Sept. 14, a reunion was held at Club 64 in Merrill for anyone who attended Normal – later called Lincoln County Teachers’ College – and its lab school students.
Ninety people enjoyed visiting and reminiscing. The day included a dinner and a program featuring Sharon and Rick Krause leading a sing-a-long.
The school began in 1907 and closed in 1967. It trained over 1,000 teachers, many who served the Merrill area.
A collection was taken to help purchase a commemorative plaque to be erected in Normal Park. For more information or to donate, contact Marilyn Jirovec.
This poem, written by Elayne Osness Ollmann, is indeed a reflection of how all the attendees feel.
There’s a square in the city of Merrill
Where a stately building once stood,
A building we all once attended
And would visit if only we could.
The building no longer is standing,
But the truths that we learned there still do.
Its invisible influence touches
The lives of us all, it is true.
It’s symbolic that children should gather
To play on this historic square,
They echo the laughter of many
Who strolled under stately elms there.
Though years have gone by since we parted
To embark on careers far and wide,
The influence that building reflected
Remains with us all as a guide.
We learned diligence must be our master
Perseverance an oft spoken need,
Excellence in all our endeavors
Dedication a must to succeed.
Reflect once again on that building
Which so loftily loomed overhead,
The commitment to youth it once stood for
Lies deep in our hearts now instead.
May commitment to youth be our motto
As graduates, let our lives show,
An example – not just reflection –
Of what we attained long ago.